Monday, August 22, 2011

Moved to tears... heart sure to follow... Something truly amazing that I saw for myself -the National Day of Remembrance in Oslo


A-ha - Stay on These Roads, Oslo Spektrum, August 21, 2011.
The band had just held their farewell concert there last year before Christmas.
The couple you see at the end of the performance is Princess Märtha Louise and her husband, author Ari Behn.
Related article, Minneseremoni hylles på Twitter at

Moved to tears... heart sure to follow... Something truly amazing that I saw for myself -the National Day of Remembrance telecast from Oslo.

What follows is an excerpt of an email that I sent to someone Far From the Madding Crowd of South Florida, whom I really respect and admire and who has been places and seen things herself, first-hand, that few people have seen.

I sent it to her about 1 p.m. or so Miami time on Sunday afternoon after getting my head and thoughts together after watching the very thing I wrote about yesterday, and encouraged you readers of the blog to see for yourself -the National Day of Remembrance in Oslo, for the attacks in Oslo and Utøya on July 22nd, which claimed 77 innocent lives.

-----
S,

Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know about something truly amazing that I watched this morning -the National Day of Remembrance telecast from Oslo, which was streamed via NRK's website with absolutely amazing audio and video.
I literally felt like I was inside the Spektrum in Oslo.

Because of what you've done in the past and the places you've been, you've seen things that most people can never imagine seeing in-person, met all sorts of interesting and not-so interesting talented and well-known people along the way, and I'm sure that for either reporting or personal reasons, you've also been at your share of impressive memorials for notable people.
I've been to a few myself, but clearly not as many as you.

That said, this morning's ceremony was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, by turns inspiring, poignant and sweet, but most of all, clear-eyed and resolved.
You never heard the word democracy used as much at a memorial ceremony as it was heard today in Oslo.

The combination of the top-level Norwegian music, whether names you know, like A-ha to Sissel, to others I was unfamiliar with but who still left me equally dumbstruck, plus the Norwegian Radio Orchestra, and the amazing heartfelt sets, lighting and stage backgrounds, candles everywhere... well, it really got to me from the start.

For long periods of time there was a golden heart formed by candles seemingly looming over the heads of the orchestra, and it was a very powerful symbol in ways that my mere words here can't convey.

And when, after about 90 minutes, they finally got to the point where five well-known Norwegian performers came on stage and read out-loud the names of the 77 people who perished, as large photos of them were shown on TV and inside the hall, WOW!

And all I could think of was those families sitting at a table in their own homes and knowing that they had to choose one photo to represent the qualities and life of their loved one to the country, one photo, well, it was so quiet that you could hear the sobbing after some kids names were read.

For the families involved, this was the day they dreaded most.
After the funerals and the family get-together in towns big and small, they always knew there would be this national day of remembrance to point to, a day where the whole country would be watching and listening.
A day that the country mourned together and put those memories in their heads forever.

But after today, there are no more ceremonies for the affected families, just the rest of their lives...and lots of haunting, never-ending questions about what might've been.

Here's the link to the complete program which will be available on the NRK website until Sept. 20th.
At some point in the near future, when you have the time and opportunity, perhaps you can see that it was as advertised: truly amazing.

The performers are listed on the left of the video when you pull this webpage up.
You can even click and hear just the performances you want.

Unfortunately, while I could watch this Full Screen when it was LIVE, the version they have here doesn't allow you to see it quite the same way I did and appreciate the intimate details.
If I come across a better version this week, I'll send the link.
It's just under two hours long and really gets moving after the first 20 minutes.

FYI: when Bjørn Eidsvåg sings the haunting song, "Eg Ser" (I see), with the full orchestra behind him, wow, the whole program goes up another level in intensity.
And then they read the 77 names...
-----
It all began with this...

Susanne Sundfør - Mitt Lille Land (My Small Country)

As I write this post, there is not yet a video available online of Bjørn Eidsvåg singing from Sunday afternoon that I can post separately here, though you can hear him sing at the link above.

There is, however, an excellent video of him singing this on July 30th, a week after the attacks, at Oslo Domkirke, the Cathedral in Oslo, with an orchestra, and the powerful feeling is just as beautiful and haunting and sad.

It's the very same cathedral where the July 23rd ceremony was held from whence came the screen shots I posted on the blog yesterday, including King Harald and Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg, both of whom gave very heartfelt and dignified speeches Sunday.


Bjørn Eidsvåg - Eg Ser (I see)

No comments:

Post a Comment